Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls

I was craving Chinese food the other night but my wallet protested the thought of ordering it, so my hubby, Bill, and I decided to make some. We didn't want it to be too labour intensive so we settled on just one dish, Bill's favourite: sweet and sour chicken balls.

I did a quick Google search, which is where I always start when I want new ideas or recipes for dinner. I scan a few recipes for the dish I have in mind and choose the one (or two) that has a lot of positive ratings and sounds like it'll suit our taste buds the best. I also choose based on ingredient availability in my house. I rarely follow a recipe exactly - I often read some of the reviews/comments on my chosen recipe(s) and adjust accordingly or just make changes based on what I feel would work and/or taste better. 

For our Chinese cooking adventure, I chose the top rated Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe on Allrecipes.com. We had all the ingredients and it got great reviews, so I knew it was something we could work with. However, I found it a bit confusing to follow and the ingredient listing wasn't set up very well, so I thought I'd share our slightly altered (and, if I may say so, improved) recipe here. The recipe basically has three separate parts (well, four, if you count the rice) so I've divided it up accordingly.

Rice
Before you start anything else, get some basmati or jasmine rice cooking according to package directions (my $12 rice cooker is one of my favourite kitchen appliances - consider getting on if you don't have one) and just keep it covered (and on warm if its it your rice cooker) once it's finished, until you are ready to assemble.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
Juice from 1 can of pineapple chunks
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 white vinegar

1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

In a saucepan, combine pineapple juice, water, sugar, and vinegar. Heat to boiling over medium high heat. Remove from heat. Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and second amount of water, stirring until all the cornstarch is dissolved.  Add cornstarch mixture to the sauce, return to heat, and stir until sauce thickens. Add more cornstarch (mixed with water first) if you prefer your sauce thicker. Put lid on sauce and set aside until ready to use.

We made the sauce exactly as the online recipe said and found it a nicely balanced, not-too-strong sweet and sour sauce. I did think it would also be delicious with a bit of lemon in it.

Chicken Balls
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes

2 1/4 cups white flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 1/2 - 2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 - 2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp powdered ginger

2 tbsp canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 - 2 cups water

4-6 cups canola oil for frying (enough to cover bottom of large pot or deep saucepan about 2 inches deep)

Once chicken in cut into pieces, sprinkle with kosher salt and set aside. Heat oil to 360 F. (If you don't have a thermometer, toss a couple of popcorn kernels in the oil. When they pop, the oil is ready for frying.)

In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (feel free to experiment with amounts and types of spices you use). In another bowl, combine wet ingredients, then add to dry ingredients, whisking to combine. Start with 1 1/2 cups of water and add more if needed to make the batter the consistency of pancake batter.

Add chicken pieces to the batter and stir to coat. Once oil is hot enough, use tongs to transfer battered chicken to the hot oil (watch out for spatters!) and fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes each side. Fry the chicken balls in batches, so that they have enough room to move around in the oil. Otherwise the oil will cool down too much and your chicken balls will be greasy and doughy (not good). Similarly, you want the chicken balls to float while they are frying; if they are touching the bottom of the pan they'll likely burn. Add more oil (and bring up to temperature again before frying) if they don't have enough room. If they seem to be turning brown too quickly and/or getting too dark, turn the heat down a bit so your oil isn't quite as hot. Remember that you have to ensure the chicken is cooked inside so you can't skimp on the frying time.

Remove finished chicken balls from oil with a wire or metal utensil and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. They'll stay hot for a long time so don't worry about covering them (in fact, they'll likely get soggy from the steam if you do).

Stir-fried Vegetables
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 white onion
1 can pineapple chunks
salt and coarse black pepper for seasoning

Heat a large skillet or wok over medium high heat, add the peanut oil (or canola oil if you don't have peanut oil - I just like the flavour) and heat until spraying a drop of water on the oil makes it sizzle. Add the onion and stir fry until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Then add the peppers (and any other veggies you'd enjoy - I think thinly sliced or julienned carrots would be a great addition) and continue stir frying until veggies are tender-crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Add the pineapple chunks and stir until heated through. Season with salt and lots of course black pepper.

I served this as four separate dishes on the table and we each layered our own plates with rice, veggies, and chicken balls and then poured as much sauce as we wanted over the top. So delicious.

If they aren't covered in sauce, the chicken balls will keep well in the fridge or freezer and you can heat them in a 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes so they get crispy again. I think my daughter would love them as is with a little ketchup for dipping sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment